An extensive financial aid program is designed to allow Disciples Divinity House Scholars to immerse themselves in their study and professional preparation. Our commitment is to ensure access to this preparation by funding House Scholars as equally as possible and to the fullest extent possible. Approximately twenty persons are selected as or continue as Disciples Divinity House Scholars each year.
For the 2012-13 academic year, qualified Disciples Divinity House Scholars who are in the MDiv program receive 100% of tuition at the University of Chicago Divinity School (60% funded by the Divinity House and 40% funded by the Divinity School), a $4,000 stipend to assist with books and expenses, and either a rent-free study/bedroom in the Disciples Divinity House or a $3,000 annual housing subsidy. Qualified Disciples Divinity House Scholars in the AM program receive 50% of tuition and a similar award from the Divinity School, plus housing and stipendiary aid. Entering Ph.D. students are eligible for full tuition and stipendiary aid through the Divinity School; advanced Ph.D. students may be eligible for aid from the Disciples Divinity House. Award amounts are established annually by the Board of Trustees of the Disciples Divinity House.
Several named scholarships are awarded on an annual basis. Recipients of the following awards are granted an additional $1,000 for the year.
- Edward Scribner Ames Scholarship for high achievement in preparation for pastoral or educational ministries.
- William Barnett Blakemore Scholarship for excellence in scholarship and breadth of ecumenical vision.
- William Daniel Cobb Alumni/ae Scholarship for high achievement in preparation for ministry.
- Bernard F. and Annie Mae Cooke Scholarship for outstanding promise in pastoral ministry.
- M. Elizabeth Dey Scholarship for outstanding promise in pastoral or educational ministries.
- Drum and Tenant Scholarship for outstanding promise in pastoral or educational ministries.
- Henry Barton Robison Scholarship for high achievement in biblical studies.
- M. Ray and Phyllis Ann Schultz Scholarship for outstanding promise for congregational ministry.
- Rolland and Laura Frances Sheafor Scholarship for high achievement in preparation for ministry.
- Oreon E. Scott Entering Scholarship for an outstanding entering student.
- William N. Weaver Entering Scholarship for an outstanding entering student.